Removing Leftover Components from Client Computer after Uninstalling Software Update Management Client Components
After you uninstall Software Update Management client components, some SMS related items remain, such as files, folders, and registry keys. SMS does not remove those items in order to allow a subsequent installation of SMS to be associated with the previous installation. In some cases, you might want to completely remove SMS from that computer.
WORKAROUND: Remove SMS Software Update Management client components from the computer.
To completely remove SMS Software Update Management client components from a computer
1. Run Regedit.exe and locate HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\VPCache.
2. Note the Path value of VPCache; this is the location of the VPCache folder on the system drive. For example, the value might be systemroot\System32\VPCache.
3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the VPCache folder on the system drive.
4. Remove the entire VPCache folder.
5. Remove the VPCache registry key.